Louis XIV asked the best artists of the period to make Versailles the first court of Europe.
Thus, Le Nôtre designed the gardens and Le Brun the sculptures. However, food had to be put on the King's table and the court had to be fed! Therefore, La Quintinie turned the marshland into a remarkable kitchen garden which provided the King with food all year round. And to satisfy the King's wildest fancies, he developed advanced techniques to produce harvests out of season!
A guide specialised in the History of Food will take you right into the heart of the town of Versailles. Here, you will discover its famous market dating back to 1841 and learn some history and anecdotes on the Kings kitchen garden and the royal menus of the period.
Length of tour : 6h
All year round, every Tuesday between 8.30 am and 2.30 pm.
Adult: from 340 €.
Price includes :
- The entrances and guided visits of Château de Versailles et du Potager du Roi
- The guided walk in Versailles, by way of market place
- Some tastings of local produce while the market visit
- Secondment all day of a drvier, tour guide, expert of eating and drinking
- The private transfer roud trip, all day, pick-up charge from/to your accomodation in Paris downtown to Versailles.