Leisure promotion: new markets with strong potential
Zone du Moyen-Orient Middle East
The Middle East markets are mature markets for our destination. In 2016, the Near and Middle East region accounted for 1.8 million overnight stays, recording more than 380 million tourist receipts and placing Middle Eastern customers in 15th place for international arrivals and in 9th place for tourist receipts. (source : Repères 2016).
Since 2017, the Paris Region Tourist Board has engaged for the first time in a series of actions with the Middle Eastern clientele: familiarisation trips, trade show, workshop :
- 31st March to 1st April : Deauville - Paris familiarisation trip during a Post Tour meeting in France, in partnership with Atout France and the Starwood Hotels & Resorts group
Participants : 13 Tour-operators from Saudi Arabia, United Arab Emirates, Lebanon and Kuwait
Programme : Musée Grévin, Galeries Lafayette, Sodexo via Les Bateaux Parisiens
- 5th and 6th April : Familiarisation trip for 50 travel agencies in partnership with Disneyland Paris, La Vallée Village and Atout France
- 23rd to 27th April: Arabian Travel Market trade show in Dubai, the leading professional trade show for international tourism in the Middle East and Turkey scene, and outstanding meeting platform. During the trade show, the destination was honoured during a gala dinner “An evening in Paris” which was held at Sofitel Downtown on the 26th April.
Partners of the Paris Region offer : Disneyland Paris, Eurowings, Hotel California, Hotel Dream Castle, Hotel Juliana, Hotel Le Belmont, Hotel Elysées Val d'Europe, KTS, Paradis Latin, Sodexo: Lido, Bateaux parisiens and 58 tour Eiffel, SFH - Villa Haussmann et Maillot, Villa Saint Honoré, Radisson Blu Disney, Compagnie des Alpes, Plaza Elysées, Bucherer, Monde Sans Frontière.
- 10th May: Presentation of the destination Paris Region in Oman with 10 Tour operators and specialist press during a France workshop by Atout France.
Prospective Mission to Iran (emerging market) - 30th April
The first workshop on France in Iran, commissioned by the Paris Region Tourist Board, was scheduled at a key moment in the process of opening up the country. In January, during his visit to Iran, the Minister of Foreign Affairs, Jean-Marc Ayrault announced that the number of visas issued to Iranians for France had doubled from 40,000 to 80,000 for this year. At the same time, Air France opened a Tehran - Paris line with 3 direct flights per week..
It should also be noted that the VFS agency has just won the tender for the visa process in which it will set up one or more reception centres, to facilitate the issuing of visas.
The Paris Region Tourist Board, in partnership with Atout France, also organised this prospective mission, which largely satisfied the partners and operators. This took place in two stages :
- Presentation of the Paris Region destination
- Workshop with 30 Iranian Tour Operators
Sub-Saharan African Market
Airlines are increasing flights on the African continent. We are seeing a steady increase in tourism from the continent, with a rise in the middle and upper classes travelling for business but also increasingly for leisure.
The African continent recorded 460,270 arrivals in the Parisian hotel industry from January to December 2016 (an increase of 2.4% compared to the same period in 2015), and the number of overnight stays was 1,205,000, a 5.3% increase compared to the same period in 2015 (Source INSEE).
This is why, for the first time, the Paris Region Tourist Board wished to be present at the fourth edition of the WTM Africa trade show which was held in Cape Town from 19th to 21st April to meet buyers not only from South Africa but from across the African continent.
Attendance at the show was enhanced by a festive and prestigious evening to which the largest South African Tour Operators, as well as Nigerian buyers attending the show, were invited with personalities from the world of media and influencers of Cape Town.